Since its beginnings in 2013, Lake Studios has provided creative residencies for movement, media, and interdisciplinary artists. Located just outside the city center, surrounded by forests, and a only short walk to a lake, these residencies offer local and international artists the possibility to develop their work in a peaceful setting while still having easy access to Berlin’s center and the richness of its art scene. The LAKE residencies usually run 1–2 months and the space can simultaneously host up to 4 residents/projects or 1 – 2 groups at a time. We provide private rooms, a shared kitchen, ample studio time, use of technical equipment, performance opportunities, and help connecting to the Berlin dance scene. This is a self-directed residency intended to provide artists and creative researchers an affordable space in which to develop their craft free of the pressure to produce an end product. Residencies are awarded by application.
Artists pay a residency fee ranging from 700€ to 900€ per month, depending on the kind of spaces you need and the amount of studio time. A letter of invitation is available on acceptance should you need one to apply for outside funding.
The residency fee includes:
- 80 hours of pre-booked studio space per month, divided equally between the large and small studios, media lab, and outside studio. If space is available, additional studio time can be booked as needed.
- Private room with desk for personal use, plus the use of shared facilities, including a full kitchen, high speed WiFi, and communal gathering and working areas.
- Access to LAKE’s technical equipment (see full list here).
- The option of organizing work-in-progress showings. Participation in Unfinished Fridays, our work-in-progress performance series, may also be possible.
- The option of taking part in or leading the Shared Practice training.
- The possibility of sharing and archiving residency research or documentation of your creative process on LAKE’s artist blog.